Fauzia Shaheen – General Secretary & Executive Director (Currently)
She is the Founder President of Women Media Center Pakistan and internationally known woman journalist of Pakistan. She is the founder editor of a well-reputed monthly news magazine Dastak and Quarterly Liberal Pakistan. She also contributes articles to BBC online Urdu service. Ms. Shaheen worked with Daily Jang (The largest newspaper of Pakistan). Ms. Shaheen has won the best Feature writer award on the prisoners’ condition of Pakistan with special reference to Central Jail Karachi in 1990. She also won the PPF-UNESCO Gender award in 2005. This award was given on her another feature on District Jail Malir where she exposed the heinous human crime of the establishment. She was the in charge of political editions of Daily Jang where she had written many articles on the scenario of Pakistani politics. She interviewed many prominent national and international politicians and dignitaries including Ms. Benazir Bhutto (former Prime Minister of Pakistan), Begum Sheikh Hasina Wajid (Ex. Prime Minister of Bangladesh), Mr. Sher Bahadur Dueba and Mr.K P Bhatta Rai (Ex. Prime Ministers of Nepal), Mr. Tyranne Fernando, (Ex. Minister of Foreign Affairs, Sri Lanka), and Mr. Don McKinnon, Secretary General of Commonwealth Association. Her articles have been published in many countries including “ Jang London, Commonwealth journalism Review and Indian newspapers Milap”. She has given paper presentations in various seminars and conferences. Fauzia Shaheen has been organizing and conducting various seminars and workshops She has contributed many features, investigative & exclusive stories, articles and news items on Women Trafficking in South Asia, Drought in Pakistan, Private Courts of Tribal Chiefs and Feudal Lords etc. She co-authored a book titled, “Weapons of War or Purveyors of Peace? Print Media in India and Pakistan”, which was published by International Center for Peace Initiatives, Mumbai, India. Ms. Shaheen has served twice as the Executive member of the All Pakistan Newspapers Society (APNS) and member of the International Relation Committee, Sindh Committee and Periodical Committee of Council of Pakistan Newspapers Editors (CPNE). She is the founding member of South Asian Editors Forum and has memberships of International Women Media Foundation, Commonwealth Journalists Association, Pakistan Federal Union of Journalists, Karachi Union of Journalists and Karachi Press Club. She has participated in various international workshops and seminars in India, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Maldives, Nepal, Afghanistan and Germany organized by International Center for Peace Initiatives (India), Institute for Media, Policy and Civil Society (Canada), The International Academy of Leadership, Gummersbach (Germany), Friedrich Naumann Stiftung, Commonwealth Journalists Association and United States Information Agency (The International Visitor’s Program).
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
1. Shaheena Sultana (President) is a senior writer; through her writing she has promoted the ideas of good governance and transparent electoral process. She is a dedicated activist for Peace, democracy and civil liberties. She always advocated for pluralism, Gender equality and moderation. She has participated in many workshops, seminars and conference on political education, democratic values and strengthens the civil society.
2. Nazir Ahmed Leghari is a well-known journalist and political analyst who covers national and international political issues. He is the founder editor of Daily Awam, Karachi, (The largest circulated Urdu eveninger of Pakistan). He has been involved in field of journalism since two decades and worked as an senior sub editor and assistant editor in Daily Jang and Daily Nawa-e-waqt respectively and has contributed numerous articles and features issues related to Pakistani and international politics. He has interviewed many national and international figures including Benaizr Bhutto, King Fahd Bin Abdul Aziz, V.P Singh, Ahmed Shah Masood, Begum Shaikh Hasina Wajid, and Mother Tressa etc. He was the newsreader of Radio Pakistan and participated in various political discussions in Radio Pakistan and Pakistan Television. He is a multi lingual person and the author of books titled, Siasat-e-Dorran (Contempory Politics), Seene Jhhokan Deedain Dery (Villages in the hearts and cities in the eyes). He has served as a vice president of Karachi Press Club.
3. Dr. Huma Baqai is an Assistant Professor at IBA. She has been teaching International Relation since 1995 and has authored a number of articles including “Globalization and Unemployment: Impact on South Asia, The Role of ethnicity in South Asia, The Role of Media in the Politics of South Asia”. She was the research assistant for an indicative ILO-Pakistan funded study: Female Home Based Workers: The Silent Workforce. Ms. Huma Baqai has been an anchorperson on current affairs program like Morning News, Visitors Book and Consumer Watch on Pakistan Television Network and private TV channels since 2000. She conducts, coordinates and organizes workshops and seminars on a regular basis.
4. Atiq-ur-Rehman Khan is a well-known journalist in Pakistan, who is committed advocate of Peace, Democracy, moderation and liberalism. He is well known analyst of Pakistan’s politics. He has contributed many articles on socio political developments in South Asia, Central Asia, and Middle East and especially in Pakistan. He has been awarded by various social organizations on his outstanding contribution.
WOMEN MEDIA CENTER STAFF
- Ms. Eraj Atiq – Program Assistant
- Mr. Nadeem-ul-Hassan – Chief Financial Officer
- Mr. Nadeem Khan – Administrator